My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
My Tech Quest
and update your bookmarks.

Translate This Page :

From Blogger to Wordpress.... Soon!

12 comments - Post a comment

Keep you updated with latest posts, Subscribe Now!

I have think for a while before I come to this decision, that is to transfer my blog from Blogger platform to Wordpress platfrom. I am glad that finally I've decided to switch to wordpress (about 5 months blogging on Blogger). Soon, it will be the time to kiss goodbye to Blogger!

So talking about wordpress, I am learning it now... slowly. A little challenging for me! Oh yes, a lot of new information for me to swallow. And about the domain name and web hosting, I already bought my domain name, not steveyu.com or steveyu85.com because someone has bought the domain name before me! So I get another domain name. On the second thought, I think I have made a mistake in getting the domain name first, I should have bought the web hosting plus the domain name together in the same package. Okay, I've learned from my mistake.

Which web hosting to choose?
This issue is currently playing on my mind, which web hosting should I get? (or which web hosting company offered the best web hosting package but at a much lower price? I am short of money, that's why I used Blogger in the first place) On my preferred list now is dreamhost. But I am willing to hear any better recommendations from you.

Wordpress plugins? Help me pick!
Picking the right plugins for my wordpress blog is making me headache. So I am interested to learn what plugins that you installed on your blog.

Who have transferred from blogger to wordpress before?
If there anyone who have the experience of transferring their blog from blogger to wordpress? Is there any issues occurred or difficulties during the transfer?

If everything goes on smoothly, my blog will have a new home by next month (hopefully).

Bookmark this post:
Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google

This Post has 12 Comments Add your own!
Anonymous - March 14, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Hi Steve!

Email to me and I will give you all the details. Too much to mention here lah. I have migrated from blogspot to wordpress on some blogs and now blog from both. I must say that wordpress is far better. And if you want to know which host, email me lah!

Anonymous - March 14, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Wordpress is so much better, you won't regret it! (I once moved from Blogger with skepticism too)

Which host? Lunarpages! I've been with them for years and never regret it!
Review: http://www.michaelaulia.com/blogs/2007/10/lunarpages-web-hosting-review.html
Even during the recent hiccups, they still provide the best service and most understanding among all! (http://www.michaelaulia.com/blogs/2008/03/my-blog-was-hogging-the-server.html)

Kamigoroshi - March 14, 2008 at 3:30 PM

There is a rule about choosing webhosts, fast, reliable, cheap, pick two. Fast and reliable webhosts don't come cheap. That being said, the best way to reduce the cost webhosts is to share them out. That's what I used to do in the beginning before I started getting hosted for free.

Dreamhost is good, but they oversell their servers. A Small Orange and Lunar Pages are good hosts. More so if you share it with a friend.

As for plugins. I use over 50 plugins for my WordPress run blog. Since I also alpha and beta test WordPress nightlies, I can tell you one thing about plugins. Use ONLY what you need.

The thing about WordPress is that because you have absolute control, you should already know what you want to do with your blog. So know what you want to do with it, and you can find the right plugins accordingly.

Otherwise, you'll have a lot of trouble updating your plugins you don't really need. Especially in newer versions of WordPress (not security patches).

Being on Blogger a long time ago and having worked on migrating a lot of blogs, it's pretty easy I can say, especially if you follow the documentation properly and you didn't hack your Blogger codes much. There is no reason for any complication. Just don't skip any steps and you'll be fine.

Anonymous - March 14, 2008 at 9:42 PM

While I was in your position, I found several posts suggesting HostGator for the webhost. And that's what I'm using now. Here's my post about it : http://www.simplydunn.net/2008/01/28/choosing-web-hosting.html/

Steve Yu - March 15, 2008 at 12:41 PM

hello, thanks you all the responses. I am hoping for more and more opinions and suggestions from you guys.

pablopabla > I have emailed you. Can't wait for the details. Agree, wordpress is better in term of control and customization.

michael aulia > I don't know, I just scared to do the migration. LOL! I will put lunarpages in my list, lunarpages offers good package also. :-)

kamigoroshi > Thanks for the long explanation. Okay, I am ready to put more money for fast and reliable webhost. Compare to blogger, wordpress has way more plugins to choose from, that's what give me headache.

dunn > hostgator, okay I will consider it. Thanks!

Deimos Tel`Arin - March 18, 2008 at 9:22 PM

Go for ipserverone.com

You can't get any better local deals that this. LYN is using this web host as well.

Shared Server Hosting

RM149 per year , prepaid 2 years.

100GB Web Space
100GB Monthly Bandwidth

Try and beat that.

Anonymous - March 19, 2008 at 2:28 PM

they say wordpress is better than blogger.. I do plan to get my own domain at wordpress too.. i don't know yet.. but do blog about your experience with wordpress. Make Money Online

Steve Yu - March 19, 2008 at 6:46 PM

deimos tel'arin > I think I will go for oversea webhost.

make money online > Oh yeah, you should get your own domain too asap.

New Trendy - March 20, 2008 at 2:56 AM

so have you decided which blog platform do you want to use?

you may interested to read 20 popular blog platform here
let make the blogsphere merrier

Anonymous - March 20, 2008 at 6:35 PM

transfer is easy, just import all the topic from your blogger...

i have done before for my friend blog

Steve Yu - March 20, 2008 at 7:17 PM

new trendy > you can see it clear from the title, it's wordpress! :-)

icalvyn > Hopefully everything is fine, with the blogger redirector plugin around, I have nothing to worry.

Anonymous - April 10, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Hye go for hosterio.com

its pretty cheap, i am using it for my blog, www.bizcues.com
very reliable and cheap with good support.

gives no problem, wordpress gr8 working.

only 20 $ a year!domain + hosting

do gime ur reviews on my site!!

Post a Comment